Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day 7: More Visits and Planning


This completes my first week of four. Time has flown and Fr. Joe wants to know if I can stay longer. I didn’t say no, but told him that “my boss” at home expects me back.

This morning we continued delivering food to St. Monica families and accessing their situation. The first stop was to a house 10 by 15 feet in size. The husband left with no support. The son has missed two years from school because of a brain tumor that has been removed. The family of three sleeps in one bed and has no storage. I will be giving a retreat to the staff soon and am beginning to think that I need it, too. I must keep reminding myself that the people in the villages who have been adopted were chosen because they were the poorest in the village.

The morning got better and our last stop was to a house that my wife, others, and I helped enlarge in the past. The mother opened the door; we immediately recognized one another and embraced. Those who were with us for the construction will recognize her as Vilma.

The rest of the day is paper work preparing for a 1-1/2 day retreat at the drug rehab center. I have to stretch out my part to four hours (come Holy Spirit…), give a witness talk, and close with liturgy. So I will be massaging English and Spanish words for a while.

Photo: a random delivery of clothes in a village

Hasta Mañana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deacon Lee... thanks for this sharing... I'm sure you are worn out each night... Thanks for taking the time... it's only through this type of communication (and visits) that we will maybe start to understand...