Monday, January 14, 2008

Day 6—Contrasts


This morning I went to the Orphanage to give a two-hour liturgy of the word / breaking open the word. We were too early so I had to give English lessions to the girls and then dance to music from a boom box. What I had planned got condensed to 15 minutes and it did not go very well from my standpoint, although the girls seemed to like it. The highlight was kissing all the girls goodbye. I am scheduled to visit the orphanage every Monday morning.

So here is the contrast. After helping assemble food packages, we delivered five of them to the village of La Legua. The first four homes were absolutely poor. The forth home was also filthy to the point I could not figure out how to help them. The parents couldn’t even figure out what they needed or wanted. Thank God for house number 5. The mother knew me and couldn’t say enough nice things about her sponsors. I’m going to assemble some photos to show what poor is. You’ll never know unless you visit the Third World, which includes half of humanity.

On returning to the parish, I had a surprise meeting with the people planning the rehab retreat. I could be in trouble. I have FOUR hours to give my retreat. At the end of the day I am supposed to give a closing talk and then close with the liturgy of the word and a homily. Come Holy Spirit…

No comments: