Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday Morning


My group went to the new school, Mother of the Good Counsel. I was looking for an overview of the school while my companions, who are educators, got into very specific areas. We were absolutely impressed. The school has almost 500 students in its first year of operation. We visited most schoolrooms and took photos. We taught in the 4th grade room of a teacher from Piura, who had near-perfect English. I met my goddaughter and the “daughter” of Bill and Linda McKinney – she ran up and hugged me for 5 minutes. New classrooms are being added for special-ed students. There is a need for more of everything: classrooms, computers, books, and people with special talents to help in the school. It is a perfect opportunity for educators in the US because the school year in Peru is from March to December. Photo: 4th grade English class

Another group went to the Hospice Center and helped people living there. The missionaries told stories that touched the soul.

Other groups bought food for the girls’ orphanage, delivered food packets and gifts from sponsors.

This afternoon Debbie and Steve Yandell took all 100 orphan girls to the movie along with most missionaries. I did not go so I could prepare to preach this evening. After Mass we will have a fiesta and celebrate!!!

No comments: