Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 2: Sunday in Piura

After a delicious breakfast at the church, I went with Fr. Joe to celebrate Mass at La Legua. I sang the Gospel alleluia in Spanish for the first time. Then further south to San Jacinto to meet the rest of the team and celebrate Mass again. The parishioner blessed us missionaries -- see photo. This was followed by an authentic Peruvian lunch.

After a siesta we went to visit the 100 orphans who St. Monica supports. Each missionary had two girls in arm. The girls danced and then made us dance. I did my first Macarena. The girls presented us with very nice Father’s Day gifts. Early in the morning I read a card Stephanie had given me before leaving and Lisa gave me a two cards at 9 this evening. In between I got cards from my sponsored family. My goddaughter cried as she read her card to me.

We then had one more Mass at the main church followed by a Father’s Day dinner. I’m going to have to let out my pants before going home. Tomorrow we begin a real work week – not too hard as you will soon see.

Hasta maƱana.

No comments: