Monday, June 23, 2008

Epilogue to St. Monica Mission Trip: "Who Will Come?"

While preaching at the Mass at La Piedra last Friday, Fr. Joe asked the parishioners how many times they had Mass in the last year. I think the number was 20; anyhow it was way less than once per week.

La Piedra is a mission of another parish and there is no priest assigned there. La Piedra was adopted by Santisimo Sacramento when a large number of poorer than usual people were discovered to live there. St. Monica sponsors 24 families. Santisimo lends La Piedra a cathechist to help people prepare for sacraments.

So, during his homily, Fr. Joe asked, “Who will come?” I think he was talking to everyone in the room, parishioners and missionaries. I sure heard the call and have been haunted by it since.

When I got home Sunday, at Mass I was more disturbed when I heard the song “Hear I Am, Lord.” Its refrain being, “Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people (gente) in my heart.”

So, I ask you readers: Who will come?

No comments: