Saturday, February 2, 2008

Day 25: House blessings and baptisms


I saw “house blessings” on my agenda this morning and thought, this is going to be a cinch. Surprise!

We drove to the large, relatively new village of Los Polvorines. It is divided into three sectors. We drove past Sector 1 and stopped in Sector 2. It was there that we began walking the desert paths between rows of homes for three hours. Was it hot! Sector 2 contains St. Patrick’s Chapel that Deacon Dennis Frazier from Oklahoma City helped work on last year.

Then we walked further south to Sector 3 where St. Monica Chapel serves the people. A few friends from this area welcomed Marlit and me. A little six-year-old girl held my hand all the way in case I got lost. Although this was a hot day it was exhilarating to see the smiles when people got their homes blessed.

Returning to the parish for lunch, Fr. Uhen was talking to what looked like another priest. He hugged me and said, “This must be the holy deacon.” He is the bishop of a near-by diocese. Originally he was from Chicago. We talked about the need of deacons in Peru.

I did five baptisms before Mass this evening. Some families give mementoes with the child’s name. I don’t think I can bring them all home.

Photo: Walking streets near St. Monica Chapel doing house blessings

No comments: